- 3 Super ripe bananas, mashed (the riper the better)
- 1 & 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Bicarb
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 a tsp salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar (1/2 cup white, 1/4 cup brown, or whichever ratio you prefer)
- 1 Egg (Slightly beaten with a fork)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence (added to the egg)
- 1/3 Cup Melted Butter (or ghee)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter (From the fridge, firm)
- Mix ingredients together to form breadcrumbs, shouldn’t be too fine.
Sprinkle on top of muffins, you will have some leftover crumbs, this is preference dependent. You could easily halve the topping.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, bicarb, baking powder & salt
- In another bowl, beat together mashed bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter
- Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. (Makes approx 12)
- Baking time:
10 muffins: 18 minutes 12 muffins: 16 minutes
- Check if its done with a knife or cake tester inserted into the center - it should come out clean.
When you take them out of the oven, wrap a clean dishcloth around and let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then 10 minutes on a cooling rack.
Then pack away in airtight container.
Thanks to © Zeenat Kalla Bray